How to Choose the Best Juicer Depending On Your Needs
A juicer is a machine that is used for purposes of extracting juice from fruits, leaves, vegetables, and herbs. In order to enjoy the process of making juices, you need to find a juicer that will serve your needs in the best way possible. Buying the best juicer 2017 can be a daunting task since the market is flooded with different brands and models. Every manufacturer will want you to believe that their brand is the best. In this article, we will look at various factors to consider when buying a juicer machine.
Masticating juicers are most expensive juicers and provide a nutrient-rich juice. They are also durable and reliable. But if you want a quick juice extractor than the centrifugal juicer is the best option for you. Another factor to consider is the type of ingredients you want to use for juicing. Masticating is best for greens, beans, soft fruits, and vegetables, whereas centrifugal is suitable for hard fruits or vegetables like carrot, apple etc.
Establishing Your Needs
Have you got to a point where you want to make juice from the comfort of your home? Before you do so, you need to make an informed decision on the particular juicer to buy. There are those that would be ideal for the commercial purpose, while others will be effective for small-scale juicing.
In addition, there are so many other considerations that you should pay key attention to when shopping for the best juicer brands. Here are some of the critical issues to look at so as to identify the model that will serve your needs.
You will certainly want to consider the cleaning process for any juicer. If you can find a juicer machine that is dishwasher safe, then it will save you a whole lot of time. Most of the juicers have about 5 parts that can be disassembled for cleaning purpose. The parts are in different shapes and this may complicate the cleaning process.
It is advisable to clean your juicer immediately after juicing as it tends to be much easier. Pay attention to the gears, containers, and sieves, which should be cleaned properly. Some of the juicer models will come with a cleaning brush that doubles up as a spatula that will make is easier to clear hard-to-reach areas. Essentially, look for a juicer that is easy to clean.
Economy and Electricity
A juicer will consume energy during the juice extraction process. You should look at juicers review so as to determine the power consumption. If you need a fast juicer machine, you need to find one that has a motor with at least 450 to 500 Watts. However, there are juicers that have an output of 200 watts and seem to work well for those who are not in heavy juicing.
While most juicers will come with an on/off power switch, the professional juicers have different modes. Such juicers will have an output of up to 900w. Such juicers will give you the option of slow or fast juicing. At the end of the day, you should find a juicer that does not consume so much power. The cost to make your juice should be lower than buying ready-made juice.
You need to have a budget in mind when choosing a juicer. You can find a juicer machine for as low as $40, while other professional models will cost as much as $1,500. The cheap models would be a good entry point, whereas the high-end ones would be recommended for commercial use. You will realize that the variance in the prices of juicers is mainly influenced by different features and capabilities.
In general, irrespective of the price, the objective of the juicers is to extract juice from vegetables and fruits. However, the quality that you will get in the end will be determined by the performance of the machine. There is a wrong assumption that the expensive models will extract more juice. In fact, there are some cheaper models that will perform better than the costly ones. You need to be very sure on what the juicer model you choose has to offer so as to ascertain if it is worth the price.
As you may have realized, there are so many different types of juicers available in the market. They come in different shapes and sizes. Ideally, when you are shopping for a juicer, you should find a size that is in line with your needs. A bulky juicer may be quite inconvenient to handle and use as it will not only take up a whole lot of space in your kitchen but also will be difficult to clean. However, you may also go for a very small juicer that is not overwhelmed with features and does tasks that it is expected to perform.
When considering the size of the juicer, you need to think about the volume of juice that you want to extract at a go. This will determine the size of the storage container to look for. Most of the commercial juicers will be huge so as to accommodate the large motor. It is imperative to evaluate your needs carefully, before picking a juicer.
A good number of people think that the noise level is not an essential consideration when choosing a juicer. Well, this is far from the truth; you need to find a juicer that has a noise level that is reasonable. Imagine having to wake everyone up when making juice in the morning. That would not be a good thing at all. Some models are so noisy that even your neighbors will know when you are making juice. You will definitely want a juicer that is quiet and is able to extract quality juice.
Some of the best juicer brands will have a low noise level. In most cases, the centrifugal juicers tend to be very noisy. They have motors that rotate at high speeds and have noisy vibrations. The masticating juicers, on the other hand, are quiet and will allow you to go about other businesses in the house while making your juice.
It is important to buy a juicer that has a warranty. It is generally assumed that if a product has a warranty for a longer period of time, then it must be of good quality. Cheaper brands will not have a warranty and this will be devastating when it malfunctions. The best juicer brands will come with a warranty of 5 to 15 years. For most manufacturers, the motor warranty is longer than the other appliances.
Not every brand gives a warranty of 15 years, to play safe you can go for one that has a warranty of at least 5 years. Be sure to ask what the warranty covers so as not to get surprises in the future when you need a replacement. It would be advisable to stay clear of any juicer machine that gives a warranty of 90 days. Some models will come with lifetime warranties for some parts.
Power consumption and the output level in a juicer are determined by the substance that is being juiced. In order to extract juice in the hard fruits and vegetables, you will need a juicer that has a minimum of 400 watts as the output of the motor. If you are in the habit of making your juice from these tough fruits and vegetables, then you can be sure that your power consumption will be higher. This will inflate your electricity bill and therefore you need to brace yourself for that.
However, you will be shocked to discover that the amount of money that you spend on the energy bills is less than it would cost you to buy the type of juice that you are able to process from the comfort of your home.
Most of the centrifugal juicers are quite loud and will cause some level of disturbance. Generally, they are considered to be fast juicers and this contributes to the noise levels. You should consider a juicer that can allow you to watch TV, listen to music or talk to each other while making your juice. Such models tend to be more expensive, but they will certainly give you peace of mind.
The juicer brands have worked hard to ensure that they provide a silent juicer machine. If you are in the heavy commercial processing of juice, you may not mind the noise in the factory. However, when making juice at home, you will want a juicer that can be used anytime of the day from very late at night to very early in the morning, without causing any commotion.
Types of Juicers
In order to be able to choose the a suitable juicer depending on your needs, it is important to understand that there are different types of juicers. Broadly, juicers are categorized into two main categories. While each will have its pros and cons, it will be upon you to evaluate your needs and look at the two types carefully, so as to establish which one would suit your needs perfectly. Two types of juicers are:
- Centrifugal Juicers
- Masticating Juicers
Centrifugal juicers are referred to as juice extractors and are the common juicers on the market. They have a whirling blade which spins at very high speeds against the filter. The blade will cut the fruits or vegetable into small pieces and then the pulp is separated from the juice extracted.
Uses of Centrifugal Juicers
Based on the design of the centrifugal juicers, they are best-suited to extract juice from fruits. The name centrifugal refers to the force used to push the small pieces of fruits against the filter mesh.
Reviews from Clients
A good number of clients love the fact they are cheaper than masticating juicers, thus are easily affordable. They have also been rated as fast juicers and easy to clean up. Some of the consumers feel that these juicers do not last long and end up breaking down pretty fast. They are quite noisy as well and this does not go well with most people.
- They are affordable
- They come with fast motors, which make the time required for making juice short.
- The centrifugal juicers are easy to clean since the parts disintegrate easily.
- Most models are easy to use, which makes them ideal for beginners.
- The output volume is lower and the quality of the juice seems to be lower when compared to the juice produced by masticating juicers.
- Centrifugal juicers produce a lot of foam, which may cause oxidation since the bubbles are full of oxygen.
- These juicers are too loud and may not be convenient in some cases.
- Most of them come with limited warranties.
Masticating juicers are referred as auger-style juicer machines. They are also known as cold-press juicers which will crush and mash fruits and leafy vegetables so as to extract juice. The augers are designed in the same way the chewing mechanism goes. They are rather slow, which is an advantage in that they will reduce the amount of foam generated. The juice extracted is rich in fiber and quite healthy.
Uses of Masticating Juicers
The use of gears and augers in the masticating juicers will cause it to be slow, but the results will be exceptional. This is the best juicer for wheatgrass since it will crush and squeeze the juice out of fruits, leafy greens, and herbs.
Masticating juicers are expensive and therefore, not everybody can afford them. They are commonly used by professional juicers and have proven to produce healthier juices than the centrifugal juice extractors.
- Produces high-quality juice since they are efficient and the pulp is quite dry.
- These are usually silent juicers.
- They are quite versatile, and they can be used to make baby food, ice creams, butter and so much more.
- The cold-pressing process will reduce any chances of oxidation.
- The masticating juicers are quite costly with the average one costing about $300.
- The cleanup process is quite long and may not be ideal for people who are in a hurry.
Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus 850-Watt Juice Extractor
The Juice Fountain Plus JE98XL delivers a lot of what the 800JEXL can do, but at a more budget-friendly price point. Dual speed 850-watt motor makes it efficient and a better choice for hard fruits and vegetables. It is easy to clean and easy to rejoin the parts. Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus is the best choice for those looking for high-end machines with a mid-range price.
- Price: It is an entry level, attractive, powerful and low price juicer that provides quality juices with maximum vitamins and minerals.
- Speed: It has extra wide 3-inch feeder chute, 850-watt dual speed motor and powerful stainless steel cutting disk for fast results.
- Noise: High-speed motor produces a fairly high quality of noise that is obvious for centrifugal juicers of similar type.
- Leafy Vegetables: Not good for extracting juices from leafy vegetables like kale, spinach or cabbage. High speed also produces more foam and juice yield is not the best quality.
Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer – Black and Chrome
The omega J8006 Nutrition Centre is a masticating juicer. It’s highly slow speed is its best feature as it helps in retaining nutrients, minerals, and vitamins in fruits and vegetables. It also helps in preventing the process of oxidation on many fruits and vegetables. Juices remain the same in taste and color can be stored for many hours. The Omega j8006 can also be used to make smoothies, peanut butter, baby food, extrude pasta, mince, herbs, grind spices and coffee beans. Ice cream can also be whipped up with frozen fruits to make delicious sweet dessert. Even though the price is high and there are some downsides of this machine it is still worthwhile for obtaining health filled enzymes and nutrients of fruits and vegetables. Easy to assemble and clean and multiples uses of Omega J 8006 makes it a worthwhile use of money.
- Juice Yield: It quietly provides a high juice yield without any foaming, clogging or heat.
- Efficiency: It’s a masticating juice extractor with a dual stage juicing system that ensures high efficiency.
- Easy to use: It has easy assembling, storing and cleaning that make it better for everyday use.
- Price: It is expensive and out of affordability for many.
- Clogged screen: There are chances of a clogged screen that is irritating for the user.
Magic Bullet NutriBullet 12-Piece High-Speed Blender/Mixer System
The Magic Bullet Nutribullet is a 12 piece blender that is perfect for the kitchen to make blends of fruits, vegetables, and shakes of different foods. It has 600 watt motor with high torque that blends the ingredient smoothly. It comes with a power base, 1 tall cup and 2 short cups, 1 flat blade, 1 emulsifier blade, 2 sealable lids and a pocket manual with recipes. Multiple cups allow a different type of blends at a time to accommodate all tastes at a time without additional washing. The product is made on cyclone action according to North American standards so it is sure that it is the highest quality for the price.
- High-speed Blending: It is a high-speed blending system that entirely pulverizes the ingredients and retains all the necessary fiber and provides a smooth uniformity.
- Price: It has very reasonable pricing.
- Risk of leakage: If cup is not screwed properly the ingredients can leak into the base and cause a premature breakdown of unit.
Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor
The quality of juice extracted by Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain is very fine and smooth. It has a speed of 14000 RPM which is normally not available in this size of juicers. The time it takes the juice from fruits depends on how hard the fruit is. BJE 200 XL and other Centrifugal machines are made for hard fruits and vegetables and not suitable for soft fruits like bananas or leafy vegetables like spinach. 700 Watts motor ensures the efficiency of the juice extraction process and extracts the maximum juice from fruits and vegetables as well as from their stems, stalks, and peels. The reputation of Breville as a quality product maker made BJE 200XL as a reliable product. BJE 200XL is easy to use and easy to handle the product. It is easy to assemble, disassemble and clean after use. It provides maximum features in affordable price so it is the best choice among a similar class of centrifugal juicer machines.
- Durable: Construction of a machine is sturdy and durable and parts are made of stainless steel and titanium
- Compact design: It is ideal for small spaced kitchen
- Noise: Level of noise is very high while working like any other centrifugal blender.
- Filter: Some people may face the problem of replacing the micro mesh filter.
BLACK DECKER JE2200B 400-Watt Fruit and Vegetable Juice Extractor with Custom Juice Cup
Black & Decker JE2200B is available in considerably low price. It has two years limited warranty. In such a low price if it keeps working for even two years only and keeps extracting juices, it will serve worth every penny spent on it. It comes with a beautiful measuring cup that makes it easier to measure and pour the juice quickly. A large pulp container on one side of the machine increases its beauty and makes it more comfortable to use in small spaced kitchen. If JE 2200B is compared with other centrifugal machines available in a similar price than it is an extremely low price.
- Durable: High-quality strainer, stainless steel cutter with stainless steel blades makes it durable for a long time.
- Efficient: 400-watt power motor provides quality juice quickly.
- Beautiful Design: Unlike other machines of similar price range JE2200B has a beautiful and compact design.
- Small Feed Chute: You have to slice fruits and vegetables as Feed Chute is very small.
- Pulp Container: Pulp container need to be cleaned many times if extracting juice in bulk quantity
Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor
The best advantage of Breville 800JEXL is its dual speed. The lower level of speed is 6500 RPM and it can be used for softer fruits and vegetables like strawberry, grapes, cucumber etc. High speed is 13000 RPM to handle apple, carrots, and even pineapple. The Larger chute is 3 inches large and fairly big enough to handle big pieces of fruits. So it reduces the preparation time. All the parts are smoothly shaped and easily removable/cleanable. Its stainless steel parts, titanium plated cutting disk, die-casted steel housing, and sturdy shape makes it the best choice for any juice lover.
- Power: It’s a dual speed (6500 and 153000 RPM) , 1000 Watts powerful juicer.
- Feed Tube: extra-large 3″-wide (7.6 cm) feed-tube makes it easier to use and reduce preparation time.
- Noise: It is louder than even noisy juicers
- Size and weight: It is very heavy and large in size so it’s difficult to use it every day or in the small spaced kitchen.
Breville BJE510XL Juice Fountain Multi-Speed 900-Watt Juicer
Breville BJE510XL Juice Fountain Multi-Speed 900-Watt Juicer is best for making juices quickly. It takes only a minute to put everything together and it’s ready to extract juice. The safety lock handle makes it easier to get ready. Extra wide chute allows putting fruit and simply pressing it with presser to get juice. Leafy greens can be wrapped around something hard ingredient or make a hard roll get juice. Juice extraction is very quick and juice is ready in only a couple of minute. BJE510XL is very easy to clean after using. This product is very suitable for regular juice drinkers.
- Speeds: Five alternative juicing speeds maximize juice yield and give a choice to choose the appropriate speed according to ingredients.
- LCD Display: Interactive LCD display helps in choosing appropriate speed easily.
- BPA Free: Stainless steel and plastic parts are BPA free
- Leafy greens: Not suitable for leafy green vegetables like spinach.
- Juice Yield: Produces a frothy juice that doesn’t have the shelf life.
Omega J8004 Nutrition Center Commercial Masticating Juicer
The Omega J8004 Nutrition Center Commercial is a Masticating Juicer. Its slow speed of 80 RPM minimizes heat production and the chance of oxidation. It provides a healthy juice with maximum nutrition and high enzyme content. Inside components are very powerful and durable. This Nutrition System juicer is not just for juicing; it can also turn nuts into nut butter, grind coffee beans and spices, mince herbs, make baby food, and whip up soy milk easily. It gives continuous juice production as there is an automatic pulp ejection feature. Omega J8004 is specially engineered for long life, quiet operation, healthy juice extraction with extremely dry pulp and minimum foam production.
- Versatility: This product comes with six different nozzles
- Quiet: It operates at a slow speed of 80RPM and very quietly extracts juices.
- Warranty: Offers warranty of 15 years that is industry leading offer.
- Small Chute: 1.5 inch small chute requires much time for preparation to slice ingredients in small pieces.
- Soft Fruits: Not suitable for soft fruits like banana, oranges etc.
Hamilton Beach 67650A Big Mouth Pro Juice Extractor
One obvious advantage is its big mouth that saves a lot of time required to cut fruits or vegetables before. The big chute takes them whole. But it’s better to peel hard skin fruits before putting into the machine. Many parts are made of plastic and dishwasher safe, so make them very easy to clean. 1.1 HP motor is an industry leading feature without any dispute. Juice extraction is very quick but the machine also operates loudly. Like other centrifugal machines, it is also not good with leafy greens. It is the best choice for those who want to start with juices, but don’t have a lot of money to spend for expensive machines.
- Big mouth: Extra wide chute is convenient to put the whole vegetable or fruit without slicing.
- Speed: 1.1HP motor makes it possible to quickly provide juice.
- Noise: Very noisy as typical feature of centrifugal machines.
- Wet Pulp: Leftover pulp is very wet that means juice is not completely extracted from the ingredients.
BELLA 13694 High Power Juice Extractor, Stainless Steel
It is hard to believe that a 1000 watt juicer available in less than $100 price. Bella13694 is extremely affordable with best features as compare to any other options in low price. It is very compact so easy to operate and easy to store anywhere. The 8.8-pound weight allows portability .It has two speed options, low and high. A one-liter capacity measuring and pouring a cup and a removable pulp container is also included in the package. Many parts are dishwasher safe. Although it is cheap in price ,but can be purchased with peace of mind as it comes with 2-year warranty.
- Hard and fibrous food: It is popular to extract juice from hard and fibrous fruits and vegetables.
- Powerful with low price: It has a 1000 watts powerful motor that is a plus with low price.
- Wet Pulp: Leftover pulp is very wet that means juice is not completely extracted from the ingredients.
- Froth: It produces a sizeable amount of froth.
As you have noticed, there are so many different models of juicers to choose from. If you need a top rated juicer, you should evaluate your needs. Compare the masticating and centrifugal juicers carefully. Weigh the pros and cons of each so as to determine the type of juicer machine that will serve your needs effectively. It is important to consider the factors discussed above, so as to make an informed decision when choosing the best juicer for your needs.