Minestrone soup falls under the category of one of the easiest and basic shapes. Besides the simplicity of this soup, it is abundantly rich in nutrients and would provide a wholesomeness to its eaters. It depends on your choice of recipe, whether you want to make a healthy and nourishing soup or simply cook it without the pasta. The recipe is as simple as just giving it a round in blender and putting back in the pot with the pasta. Wait until the paste becomes soft and your delicious Minestrone soup is ready to serve.
SERVING FOR 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 beef slabs, precisely cut
- 1 little piece of garlic, pared and cut into small portions
- 1 red onion, peeled and tidily cut
- 2 carrots, washed and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 small leek, washed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 x 13.5 ounce cans diced plum tomatoes
- 1 large potato, washed and chopped
- A large knife
- Paring knife for trimming and peeling
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Liquid measuring cup
- Large spoon
- 1 x 15.5 ounce can garbanzo, washed and drained
- 4 cups (1-quart container) low-sodium vegetable broth
- A bit large and twisted kale, separated from stems and sliced
- ½ cup mixed small pasta shapes a bunch of basil (voluntary) 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly powdered and squeezed large black pepper
- 5 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese; optional
- One can avail the goodness of a soup throughout the year as the basic recipe of a soup remains same and you just have to alter the variety of seasonal vegetables available.
- While preparing the soup, try to make it in a large quantity so you can enjoy the healthiness of it at any time of the day. It can be served as an evening meal. You can also refrigerate it for using later. Freezing the soup in sandwich bags is also an option.
- Most people normally throw the rinds of the Parmesan cheese while grating it. Try to save them and put in the soup as they enhance the flavor. But do not forget to take them out before serving. Remember not to waste the grinds.
- If you have any broken or leftover pasta, you can simply use it in this soup. Try to use small pieces of pasta so they can cook faster.
- Turn on the stove and put the saucepan over it on medium heat. Add one tablespoon of olive oil. Put the beef slabs in the saucepan and fry it. Wait until it turns brown and gives a wonderful aroma. Now add the remaining ingredients i.e. celery, zucchini, leek, garlic, oregano, carrots and bay leaf. Leave the saucepan for 15 minutes approximately so all the ingredients can blend into each other nicely. Use the spoon to stir the mixture well and check if the vegetables have softened or not.
- Now it is the time to add the tomatoes, potato, chickpeas and vegetable broth in the saucepan. Place a lid on the saucepan and slow down the stove so the ingredients boil perfectly. Cook the mixture for about 30 minutes. Use a paring knife to check whether the potato has softened or not.
- Now put the kale and pasta in the pan. Again boil for 10 more minutes to let the pasta cook. Once the pasta is cooked, you can add a little water or broth if you think the soup is too thick to your choice.
- If you like basil, you can use it to give a kick to your soup. Just put some of its chopped leaves in the soup. A bit of salt and black pepper are the perfect items for seasoning the soup. You can also serve Parmesan to sprinkle on the soup to your guests.
Minestrone soup can be delivered with an aroma and crackling roll, it can become a perfect dish for your meal.
Advice from the dietitian
While purchasing the broth from the market, whether it is the vegetable, chicken or beef broth, do not forget to read the label. Make sure you buy only the low sodium broth or else you can make it at home from scratch. You can use any other beans if you don’t have liking for garbanzo beans, but they should be low sodium. The purpose is to get advantage of the fiber and proteins which keeps you energetic and active for a long time. The variety of vegetables added in the soup are a perfect source of healthiness for the entire day.
Tip for food safety
Do not forget to clean the sink first before washing the vegetables in it. Keep it clean and sparkling. Washing the vegetables before cooking ensures dirt-free and hygienic cooking.